Friday, October 15, 2010

Homegrown Radio 10/15/10

Friday is upon us again, & that means it’s time for another installment of Homegrown Radio with Joel Murach.  Mr Murach has another top-notch song for us this week, so let’s see what he has to say about “You Wanna Have Your Cake”:

One day I started thinking about the saying, "You want to have your cake and eat it too." To be honest, I never really understood this saying. But then I couldn't stop thinking about it. And then I realized that it applied to a situation that I was in. And then I wrote this song.

The recording is essentially a live recording. I just set up two mics and played it. Someday, I'd like to overdub some pedal steel on the end of it.

Get ready for a sad one but a good one, folks.  Enjoy!

<

3 comments:

  1. I love this, John. Thanks for the introduction to Joel Murdoch's music. Now I'll have to find more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is nice! And he's right, some pedal steel would be gorgeous on this, but not just at the end; it would be a nice muted accompaniment throughout the song, with solo spotlight at the end. It would also be nice with some fiddle or some mandolin (a la Peter Ostroushko rather than bluegrass style).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen & Roy

    Karen: You can purchase Joel's music here. I forgot to put that link in today's post.

    Roy: Yes, I also thought the pedal steel would be nice as a background throughout, & I can hear the mando for sure. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by & sharing your thoughts. Please do note, however, that this blog no longer accepts anonymous comments. All comments are moderated. Thanks for your patience.