Saturday, June 26, 2010

“That Summer Feeling”


Happy Saturday! It’s a busy weekend here at Robert Frost’s Banjo central—Eberle & I have the pleasure of a visit from SoCal friends Sally & Annalou, & yours truly is playing music today at the Council Farmer’s Market. As I result, I decided to opt out of Sepia Saturday this week—I don’t this I’ll have the time to do it justice.

I did think I’d share a beautiful song with you folks, however: “That Summer Feeling” by Jonathan Richman. For those of you who don’t know, Jonathan Richman erupted on the music scene in the 1970s with his Boston-based band, The Modern Lovers. I can still remember early college days being mesmerized by his great song “Roadrunner” as it was broadcast on the University of Vermont’s college radio station. At that time, Richman was a straight ahead 3-chord rocker, but he had some of the most infectious energy that any popular musician of our time has evinced. It’s been a while since I’ve seen Johathan Richman perform live—last time was in the late 90s—but he still had that infectious, joyful quality then, & I’m sure he still does now. If you’re not familiar with Richman’s work, you should most certainly check it out.

In the meantime, please enjoy this sweetly poignant ode to summer!



13 comments:

  1. We used to go see Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers up at Lupo's in Providence. I think they played here in Newport a couple of times, too, either at Harpo's or at Billy Goode's. It's always good to hear from him again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roy: Jonathan's shows are always a good time! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy summer's day to you. Have fun at the Farmer's Market & with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That may be my favorite JR song. Although "Dancing in a Lesbian Bar" is a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love 'Roadrunner'one of my fave blasts from the past

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite Jonathan songs, too! "When there's things to do, not because you gotta!" I also love, "I'm a Little Dinosaur" for summertime and "Hey There Little Insect" ("please calm down, so we can have fun and fool around!"). Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lizzy, Sean, TFE & Audrey

    Lizzy: I had a great time--thanks!

    Sean: It's so hard to pick--I really like all the ones folks of mentioned in comments, & another one I'm partial to is "Girlfriend."

    TFE: Such a great, great song!

    Audrey: I love both of those! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love his shameless way with rhymes and images that really shouldn't work. Faux-naif or the real thing, no one's going to beat a line like 'going fasty miles an hour'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a nice, sweet summer song.

    What did you play at the farmer's market?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely, lazy, summery tune. It puts me in the mood to do nothing at all except ... be.

    Farmer's Markets which feature live music .... ahhhh, bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the new look of your blog. It is fun to experiment although I'm still stuck with my old ones. The flowers in the garden are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dick, Nana Jo & Lizzy

    Dick: To make that stuff work, you really have to believe in it more than not--it can't be all ironic. Yes, some of his lyrics are just amazing.

    Nana Jo: It was a nice day! Thanks, glad you liked it.

    Lizzy: Glad you like the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi HKatz: Sorry! The Farmer's Market is a standing engagement--4 hours of music(!), & I play old-time blues exclusively. However, I'm now doing a set with friend & student Heather U., & she sings Natalie Merchant, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Nanci Griffith, Townes Van Zandt songs. She has a great voice & is good at accompanying herself on guitar. I just try to give her some support as "2nd guitar."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by & sharing your thoughts. Please do note, however, that this blog no longer accepts anonymous comments. All comments are moderated. Thanks for your patience.